Health ProfessionsThe Health Professions program offers students the opportunity to acquire knowledge and skills that are applicable to many health careers. This is a one-year program with the opportunity for juniors to return as a second year student. As a first year student, students will complete the core curriculum which includes the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) training curriculum. Topics included as a first year student include, but are not limited to: medical terminology, healthcare facility safety, infection control, HIPAA, communication, diseases in the body, and the opportunity for CPR First Aid certification. Hands-on lab and clinical experience will be completed by each first year student. At the end of the year, CNA students will have the option to become State Certified as a CNA. Students in the first year program must be willing to meet the following requirements for clinical which include: current seasonal Flu vaccine, Covid-19 vaccine, 2-step TB test, obtain a sports physical, and pass an ICAT police record check. If a junior comes back for a second year as a senior, the curriculum includes learning physical assessment, medical terminology, medical math, labs that include many different career paths, and career exploration. Students also attend job shadows and WBL experience at the local LTC facilities. Certifications are being added as they become available for second year students.
- Join the national student organization HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America).
- Participate in the Region 10 Health Science Alliance Competition
- Get hands-on clinical experience in local community healthcare settings
Special class features:
- Training and/or certification in CPR/First Aid ($35 fee)
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Potential for other certifications
- Clinical experience (students must maintain an 80% in order to sit for the State Certification Test)
- Guest speakers and field trips to colleges offering healthcare programs
- Opportunity to earn college credit
Last Modified on March 17, 2022